The first edition of Coast Contemporary was completed in September 2017.
We would like to thank all participating Artists, Curators, Institutions, Museums and Galleries for making the journey and experience possible.
We recommend a trip to Instagram to get an impression of the program!
#coastcontemporary on Instagram
Please contact us on email@example.com should you wish to receive information about our next journey in 2018.
DAY 1. 20.09.2017
15.00 – Visit to A K Dolven’s studio in Kvalnes.
19.30 – Reception at the North Norwegian Art Centre in Svolvær.
Guided tour in the Art Center`s exhibition Paradise and barbed wire by local Lofoten artist and gallerist Thor Esaissen (b. 1936)
Introduction by curator Kjetil Berge. Introduction to Lofoten by Nordland County Council`s Executive of Culture Ingelin Noresjø. Presentation of the Art Center and LIAF by Director Svein I. Pedersen.
09.00 – Art Scape Nordland – Guided buss tour to Lyngvær.
Introduction to Art Scape Nordland by initiator and artist A K Dolven.
11.30 – Lofoten International Art Festival – LIAF
LIAF 2017 – I Taste the Future
Introduction by curators Heidi Ballet and Milena Høgsberg at Trevarefabrikken.
13.00 – Guided tour of LIAF in Henningsvær and performances
16.00 – Visit to Kaviar Factory
Guided tour in the exhibition Painting or Not by Director Venke Hoff.
DAY 2. 22.09.2017
09.00 – Program in the Conference Hall
Welcome by Tanja Sæter, Initiator and Artistic Director.
Introduction by Master of Ceremonies Kenneth Varpe
09.20 – We are crossing the Polar Circle
09.45 – Presentations by participants
- Sabrina van der Ley, Director Museum of Contemporary Art – the Nationalmuseum
- Kjersti Lerseth, Cultural Advisor The City of Trondheim
- Susanne Svenseid, Director Association of Norwegian Art Societies
- Haakon Thuestad, Director Bergen Assembly
- Alexander Ferrando, Director Metro Pictures, New York, US
10.30 – Film screening
Screening of the film The Goodness Regime A film by Sille Storihle in collaboration with Jumana Manna.
11.15 – Presentations of participants continues
- Marit Sande, Culture Coordinator at NORLA – Norwegian Litterature Abroad – Frankfurt Book Fair 2019.
- Edwige Baron, Project manager, Artists & research, Berlin Biennial 2018
- Ina Johannessen, Director of Ekebergparken
- Ina Otzko, artist and Chairwoman of the Association of North Norwegian Artists
12.00 – Performance by artist Tori Wrånes – Performance part I
14.00 – Opening of the Cabin Series Part I
Opening hours: 14.00 – 21.00
Kunsthall Stavanger presents the Artist Hanne Lippard
Lippard presents a Spoken – word performance in three parts.
Curated by Curator and Director Hanne Mugaas.
Cabin number. 436, deck 4.
Performance by Hanne Lippard
14.15 – 14.30
18.15 – 18.30
20.15 – 20.00
1857 presents the Artist Nancy Lupo
Lupo presents the sound piece “Hold the Phone” and a sculpture.
Curated by Artists and Founders Stian Eide Kluge and Steffen Håndlykken.
Cabin Nr. 434, deck 4.
UKS presents the Artist Nora Joung
Joung is presented with a restospective of Joungs performances over the last 5 years.
Cabin Nr. 640, deck 6. Curated by UKS Curator and Director Rhea Dall.
Performance Retrospective by Nora Joung
- 14.00 Operette Morali, 2017, 10 min performance
- 14.30 Broadsheet, 2017, 5 min performance
- 15.00 Mapping, 2016, 10 min, performance with video
- 15.30 Golden age, 2016, 6 min, performance with video
- 16.00 The Conjurer, 2015, 10 min performance with video
- 16.30 The Cynic, 2015, 10 min, performance with video
- 17.00 Mouthing, 2014, 7 min, performance
- 17.00 Time share, 2017, 5:33 min, digital video with sound
15.00 – Panel Talk “When the underground becomes establishment”
-About the artist-run scene in Norway.
Participants from artist-run spaces:
Prosjektrom Normanns in Stavanger, represented by co-founder, curator and artist Elin Melberg.
Entrée in Bergen by founder and curator Randi Grov Berger.
1857 in Oslo by co-founder, curator and artist Steffen Håndlykken.
Sabrina van der Ley, Director Museum of Contemporary Art – the Nationalmuseum
16.30 – Artists in conversation
“The impact of artists practices – The double-bind of identity”
Participants: Artist Sille Storihle and Artist Joar Nango.
Moderator: Alexander Ferrando, Director of Metro Pictures
19.00 – Film program
Films will be shown in loop until 22.00.
The film program is open to other public on board.
- When I go out I bleed Magic (20 min) by Ingrid Torvund
- I found you under tree under earth (8 min) by Ingrid Torvund
- Portrait of a smiling man (4.5 min) by Mattias Härenstam
- Portrait of a man reminiscent of my father (12 min) by Mattias Härenstam
- Reconstruction (22 min) by Mattias Härenstam
- Equivalent Unit (20 min) by Danilo Correale
DAY 3. 23.09.2017
08.00 – 09.45 (8 am-early!) – Round-trip in Trondheim
Visit to Kunsthall Trondheim to see the current exhibition A New We
Visit to Trøndelag Centre for Contemporary Art to see the current exhibition Trøndelagsutstillingen
RAKE visningsrom can be seen on the harbour next to Hurtigruten.
10.15 – Introduction by Master of Ceremonies Kenneth Varpe
10.20 – Presentations by participants
- Natalie O’Donnel, Curator Munchmuseet on the Move
- Trude Schjeldrup Iversen, Senior Curator Public Art Norway
- Hilde Barstad, Director of Department of Cultural Affairs, City of Oslo
- Lise Dahl, Curator North Norwegian Art Museum
11.45 Artists in conversation
“The impact of artists practices – Science & Speculation”
Participants: Artist Jan Freuchen and Artist Toril Johannessen
Moderator: Orit Gat, writer and art critic based in London and New York
12.45 – Lunch
14.00 – Opening of the Cabin Series part II
Opening hours 14.00-21.00
Rake visningsrom presents the Artist Hanna Fauske
Cabin nr. 640, deck 6.
Fauske presents an installation of her fictional caracter Erik Elk who lives in the cabin and listens to his favourite band De Fede Svin (The Fat Pigs)
On the television you can see his favourite show “Vigdis fjernsynskjøkken” (Vigdis TV-kitchen)
Curated by artists and founders Charlotte Rostad and Trygve Ohren.
Entrée presents the Artist Danilo Correale
Cabin nr. 434, deck 4.
Correale presents the soundpiece In Reverie: On the Liberation from Work.
2 persons at the time in the cabin. Espen and Randi will be there all day to instruct.
Correale screens his film Equivalent Unit in the film program.
Curated by Founder and Curator Randi Grov Berger.
Schloss presents the Artist Gerasimos Floratos
Cabin nr. 436, deck 4.
Flotatos presents a series of small sculptures and a notebook.
Curated by Artist and Founder Ida Ekblad.
15.30 – Panel Talk
“Challenging the boarders of biennials -
A conversation with documenta 14, Bergen Assembly and LIAF 2017".
Paul B. Preciado, Curator of Public Programs of documenta 14, Kassel and Athens.
Andrea Linnenkohl, Curatorial Advisor of documenta14
Heidi Ballet, Curator LIAF 2017 Haakon Thuestad, Director Bergen Assembly
Trude Schjeldrup Iversen, Senior Curator KORO, Public Art Norway
7.00 pm – Film program
Films will be shown in loop until 22.00.
- When I go out I bleed Magic by Ingrid Torvund
- I found you under tree under earth by Ingrid Torvund
- Portrait of a smiling man by Mattias Härenstam
- Portrait of a man reminiscent of my father by Mattias Härenstam
- Reconstruction by Mattias Härenstam
- Equivalent Unit by Danilo Correale
- The Goodness Regime by Sille Storihle
20.00 – Performance by Nils Bech
DAY 4. 26.09.2017
10.00 – Artist in conversation
“The impact of artists practices – Under the Surface”
Artist: Mattias Härenstam
Moderator: Sam Thorne, Director of Nottingham Contemporary
12.00 – Performance by artist Tori Wrånes part II
14.30 – Hurtigruten arrives in Bergen
Visit to galleries, artist studios and museums in Bergen:
3,14, KODE, Lydgalleriet, Hordaland Art Centre, Entrée
Tag Team Please also visit other places if you like. Its easy to go around by yourself, but you can also walk in a group with Tanja if you prefer it.
19.00 – Reception Dinner at Bergen Kunsthall
At the courtesy of Bergen Municipality.
Welcoming speech by Julie Andersland the Commissioner of Climate, Culture and Business Development,. Bergen Kunsthall,
Adress Bergen Kunsthall: Rasmus Meyers alle 5. Phone +47 940 15 050
20.00 – The Going Away Party at Bergen Kunsthall & Landmark
Bergen program is curated by Mei Szetu and Tanja Sæter.
By artist and dancer Veronica Bruce, with Jennie Bergsli.
SOFT INTERLUDE is presented in collaboration with artist Ida Ekblad and her artist-run gallery SCHLOSS.
Costumes and senography by Karoline Bakken Lund and Eirik Sæther.
Dead Language Poetry by sound/electronica arist Espen Sommer Eide and vocal artist Mari Kvien Brunvoll.
And Tromsø born, Bergen based DJ Bjørn Torske.
DAY 5. 25.09.2017
10.00 Guided tour of Bergen Kunsthall
and the exhibition:
O Superman To Girls, Tricky. I Am Here, Where Are You: On Vocal Performance
Studio and gallery visits continue.
Return Flight from Bergen
Airport name: Flesland The airport can be reached with: By Banen (45-50 minutes), Buss (30-45 minutes) or Taxi.